Since we have goats, I thought that it would be appropriate to share this recipe I found for using goat cheese. Goat cheese also has a great and unique taste. We like it.
Onion & goat's cheese tartsA great vegetarian snack, and only 5 ingredients
- 225g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 batch Basic sticky onions
- 2 x 100g rounds goat's cheese , sliced
- 4 thyme sprigs
- olive oil , to drizzle
BASIC STICKY ONIONS
Preparation and cooking timesPrep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Cut the pastry into 4 rectangles and place on a baking sheet. Mark a border 1cm in from the edge of the pastry with a sharp knife. Spoon the onions into the middle, smooth then top with the cheese and thyme. Drizzle with oil and bake for 15-20 mins, until the cheese has melted and the pastry has risen and is golden brown.
- For the onions: Makes 600g, which is 3 batches. Prep time 5 mins, cook time 30 mins. Melt the butter in a large, deep frying pan and stir through the onions. Cover with a lid and cook gently for about 10 mins, until softened. Remove lid, add sugar, then cook 15-20 mins, stirring, until all of the liquid has evaporated and onions have turned golden. Divide into 3 batches to make the recipes, right. Will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
482 kcalories, protein 15g, carbohydrate 30g, fat 34 g, saturated fat 18g, fibre 2g, salt 1.44 g
Recipe from Good Food magazine, September 2006.